A couple quick thoughts at the end of the week.
Humans are no longer limited by a lack of information. We’ve never had more Wikipedia articles, Google search results, emails, updates, and every other way we get information when we need it.
We even have Siri or other artificial intelligence like Big Blue to do the work for us.
Information is not the problem.
We are now limited by the amount of attention we have available.
When you earn someone’s attention, you shouldn’t waste it. It’s precious!
Does your page respect people’s time?
- Do you dominate Facebook with a ton of trivial posts? We only have so much time and you’re wasting it. We will unfollow or hide you.
- Why are our comments awaiting moderation on your blog? You have a spam filter.
- Are you deleting Facebook comments that are unfavorable to your brand? You are asking for trouble. Comments will go somewhere.
- We won’t do business with you if you ignore questions or comments on your page.
Why are your customers waiting?
- I spent 3 hours on the phone with AT&T yesterday. Now I’m switching to Verizon.
- My favorite grocery store has no parking. I now have a new favorite.
- Sam’s Club always has 10 people in every line. I’m not renewing my membership.
How are you one on one?
- Are you constantly checking your phone?
- Are you dragging the conversation down by spend too much time on meaningless stuff?
- Are you actually listening?
- Do you spam your contacts with unnecessary emails or other deferred communication?
- Do you say stuff just for the sake of saying it?
For the sake of humanity, we must stop.
The developed world is out of time. Relationships are suffering. People are overwhelmed.
If you want to keep people’s attention in the Attention Era, you must respect it.
It starts by not wasting it.
Have a great night,
Are my posts worth your attention? Get future posts by subscribing to “Thoughts from an 8pm Warrior” via email for free.