Interesting message I got today:
I definitely have some comments on it, but first, here’s the video Charlie mentioned:
If you don’t have 5 minutes to watch it, I will paraphrase it for you:
- When she was already successful, Arianna Huffington (the Huffington Post Arianna) fainted from exhaustion, fell down, and broke some bones in her face.
- She met with doctors, scientists, and others to discover that the key to a more productive, more inspired, more joyful life is…getting enough sleep (contrast this with our current Warrior of the Week: Jordan Zimmerman’s position).
- She is starting a new feminist revolution by telling women to literally “sleep their way to the top” and sleep deprivation is a “virility symbol” for men.
- Sleeping will save the world.
Arianna, you’ve done some amazing things in your life, and you were an 8pm Warrior. For that, I used to have a lot of respect for you.
However, I respectfully think it is ludicrous to tell those 8pm Warriors at the TED event that sleeping is the key to a more inspired life and I’d like to see Jordan Zimmerman give a TED talk to share the other side. I’m assuming that one of the reasons you were wildly successful is the same reason that you fainted from exhaustion.
You were giving it your all.
One of the reasons that 8pm Warriors work late (and often sleep less) is because we want to; because we are inspired. We’re busy.
- We’re busy writing, reading, or watching TED videos.
- We’re busy planning.
- We’re busy making our dreams come true.
I believe that a person can sleep when they die or sleep when they’re satisfied. Arianna, it sounds like your dreams have already come true. Time to let others chase theirs.
Have an inspired night!